Make your own Raw Milk Yogurt
Have you ever wanted to make your own raw milk yogurt? It's simple and easy. Here's how:
1. Fill a cool chest with hot water (approximately l00' to 120'). Place containers of milk in this water bath for 2-3 hours to warm the milk to approximately 100'.
2. Next pour the warm milk into wide mouth glass jars and stir in 1 cup of plain yogurt with active, live cultures per 1/2 gallon of raw milk.
3. Place wide mouth jars back into cooler with new hot water (approximately 100' to 120') and the close lid.
4. Keep the lid closed for 8 to 12 hours to maintain the warmth.
5. Then remove jars of milk/yogurt from hot water bath and refrigerate.
6. Once this is cool, you can add your own fruits or sweeteners.
Congratulations! Enjoy your own homemade raw milk yogurt!
Drain off the yogurt whey with a colander for a thicker yogurt (Greek style).
Drain yogurt solids for 8 hours and use as a soft cheese-season with herbs, peppers, garlic, onions, peppercorns, etc for a similar-to-chevre product.
Use the drained yogurt "cheese" as substitute for cream cheese.
Create your options for using the yogurt in dips, salads and desserts.
To use the whey, add vanilla and sweeten to taste. Or create fruit smoothies. This whey is a great source of protein.
Source: Swiss Villa